20 Sep Catherine Elizabeth Moore
Catherine Elizabeth Moore, 77 of Washington, DC.
Reflection of Life
Catherine Elizabeth Moore, affectionately known as Cathy, was born on Tuesday, April 13, 1937 in Washington, D.C. Cathy was welcomed to her family by doting parents, Paul and Irene Butler and her loving siblings. Catherine was educated in the D.C. Public School System. Furthering her education, Catherine earned a certificate in Home HealthCare at the Lenox Adult Education Center in Washington D.C. Catherine was a very loving Mother and adored her children. Cathy’s famous potato salad, with a surprise in it; sometimes the surprise was shrimp, sometimes the surprise was extra eggs or cayenne pepper; was a much sought after delicacy. As an adolescent, Cathy was very fond of animals. Her love for animals continued into her adult years and the family home was shared with a cat and guinea pigs.
Catherine was employed in the D.C. Public School System as a teacher’s aide and retired in 1978. Catherine’s superb entrepreneurial skills were the cornerstone to the success of her Mary Kay, Avon, and Amy Way Enterprises. Later she worked as a Home HealthCare Aide. Catherine was a very compassionate aide and took great pride ensuring her patients were comfortable and their needs were met. Cathy loved attending family functions with her children, grandchildren, and friends and often would show off her excellent dancing skills. Catherine has a beautiful smile and a warm spirit which endeared many people to her. As a devout Christian, Catherine loved the Lord! Catherine was a member of the Imani Temple in Washington D.C. and was known as, “one of the Golden Girls”. Catherine’s favorite saying was, “GOD is good!”
A few of Catherine’s accolades are:
- Letter of Appreciation (January 1990) from Majestic Eagles Organization
- Share Our Strength’s Operation Frontline Award (November 21, 2008)
- Senior Computer Course Literacy Volunteers and Advocates (June 5, 2003)
- Certificate of Appreciation for Volunteer Service at Edgewood Terrace from CPDC (June 11, 2013)
- Olsten Healthcare Certificate of Outstanding Service (June 18, 1993)
- Certificate of Appreciation from Easter Seal
- Certificate of Recognition 2011 American Heart Association
- Certificate of Appreciation Salvation Army Adult Camp (June 13, 1997)
- World Changes Ministries Vision Partner 2009
- Columbia Lighthouse Certificate of Appreciation (April 10, 1990)
- Certificate of Appreciation for Supporting Boystown 2014
Catherine Elizabeth Moore entered into an eternal rest on Saturday, September 20, 2014 at George Washington Hospital after succumbing to an asthma attack. Catherine was predeceased by sons, Lonny Paige and Shannon Woodland and her daughter, Phyllis Woodland.
Catherine leaves to celebrate her life, four daughters:
- Angelette Paige
- Zezella Evans (Greg)
- Karen Pinkey (Donald, Sr.)
- Judy Garland-Smith (George)
- Lawrence Woodland, Jr.
- Irana Chearity (Ericka)
- Hodges Garland (Mary)
- Gregory Jr.
- Gregory Jr.
- Lonny Jr. (Stacy)
- Dominique (Amanda)
- Antonio (Gabby)
- Kaylee Ann
- Shannon Jr.
- George III
Twenty great grandchildren; two brothers: Calvin and Bobby Butler, four sisters Barbara and Yvonne Butler, Theresa “Mary” Proctor, and Ethel Richmond; fourteen grandsons; ten granddaughters; the Richmond Family, the Henry Family and life long friends: Francine Harris, Francine Tilman, Hazel Mayor and a host of other relatives and friends.